The Piper Patchwork Crochet Handbag
Show off your spring style with the Piper Patchwork Handbag. A super quick & fun crochet pattern that’s easy enough for beginners and creates a sensational accessory with a lot of texture and sass! Makes a great market bag too!
This is a level 2 – Easy Pattern.
13 stitches and 8 rows = 4-inches in double crochet (dc) -or- 13 stitches and 12 rows = 4-inches in pattern (see Instructions)
Approximately 16 (L) x 16 (W)
This pattern is written in US terminology.
- Stitch/es (st/sts)
- Skip (sk)
- Slip st (slp-st)
- Chain stitch (ch/chs)
- Single crochet (sc)
- Double crochet (dc)
- Back Loop Only (blo)
- *____* Repeat indicated instructions
(US) single crochet = (UK) double crochet
(US) double crochet = (UK) treble crochet
- KnitPicks Brava, medium 4 worsted weight, 100% acrylic, 218yds/100grams in colors White (A), Sienna (B), Coral (C), and Avocado (D)
436yds / 399m to 872yds / 797m Each color A – D: 0.5 to 1 skein = 109 yds / 100m to 218 yds / 199m.
- Crochet Hook size H/8 5.00mm or whatever hook is necessary to obtain the correct gauge.
- Measuring tape
- Stitch markers (optional)
- Tapestry needle for weaving in ends
I wanted a large, fun handbag in some of my favorite spring colors that would be perfect for carrying all the necessary accessories, but would also be super stylish!
Prefer a PDF?
This pattern is available as a large print, ad-free, printable PDF pattern.
Get it in these places:
The concept behind the Piper Patchwork was fun.
I wanted a design that screamed spring, but was also easy to whip up, versatile, and would hold everything I need on the go!
I picked Knit Picks Brava from We Crochet because I love the quality of their yarn and they had the PERFECT colors in a medium 4 worsted weight – the Brave color selection is amazing!
What I didn’t expect was how soft the yarn actually is!
I was looking for something comparable to Red Heart Super Saver in price and although, I would say Brava costs a slight bit more, in my opinion, the quality of the yarn makes it worth it.
I will definitely be using more Brava yarn in the future!
You can purchase it via my affiliate link below.
- Cascade Yarns Pinwheel
- Premier Yarns Anti-Piling Everyday Medley
- Marriner Yarns Aran
- Lion Brand Pound of Love
Join the Newsletter!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email & receive a Ravelry coupon code for a FREE crochet PDF pattern of your choice!
Read all pattern notes, instructions, and other provided details carefully before starting the project to make sure you understand everything. It could save you hours & a lot of headaches!
- Before you start, go through the pattern and highlight/mark the stitch and row counts that correspond to the size you are making (this will make your life much easier!).
- Make a swatch that measures at least 10 x 10 cm / 4 x 4 inches using the stitch provided under the Gauge Section. If your swatch matches the gauge, then you are all set to start the project. If the gauge is wrong, you might need to change your crochet hook – increase your hook size if your stitches are smaller & decrease your hook size if your stitches are larger.
- All measurements given are unblocked and measured flat pre-wear and pre-seaming as fabric pieces may stretch during/after blocking, wearing, and seaming.
- Provided measurements are as exact as possible, but are given as approximates. This is because yarn variances, crochet tension & individual technique might give variations in the result, which changes from person to person.
- All seaming is done using the whip stitch or your preferred seaming method.
- The handle is worked in continuous rounds. There will be NO joining at the end of each round, or turning and chaining.
- Care Instructions: Hand wash & lay flat to dry or follow instructions on the package.
PIN this pattern to your Pinterest boards for later.
You can also follow all my boards!
Let’s Get Crafty!
Looking for lots of crafty inspiration, tips, tutorials, and a great crochet community? Join my Facebook group!
The Piper Patchwork Crochet Handbag Pattern
**THIS IS AN ORIGINAL PATTERN. Please see my Copyright Statement for details.
6” X 6” Squares (make 13; 3 of 3 colors and 4 of 1 color)
Row 1: Sc in the 2nd ch from the hook, *dc in the next ch, sc in the next ch*. Repeat from * to * across, ending with a dc in last st 
Row 2: Ch 1, turn work, *sc in the next dc, dc in the next sc*. Repeat from * to * across, ending with a dc in last st. 
Rows 3 – 18 repeat row 2.
- Lay the colored squares in any order you desire as depicted in Image 1.
- Seam as indicated in Image 2.
- Seam as indicated in Image 3.
- Fold bag as indicated in Images 4 and 5.
- Seam as indicated in Image 6.
- Attach yarn with a slp-st at any the far right seam, place stitch marker, sc in the same st and all the way around the top of the handbag as indicated in Image 7, 3 sc sts in the point of each square.
- When you get back to the stitch marker, you will crochet continuously – sc in along the first square up to the middle sc of the first point, ch 85, slp-st into the middle sc of the next square as depicted in Image 8.
- Sc around to the middle sc of the next square point, ch 85, slp-st into the middle sc of the next square point.
- Continue working a sc in each st around to the first ch 85, work a sc into each ch of the ch 85, continue working a sc in each st around to the second ch 85, work a sc into each ch of the ch 85, continue working a sc around, slp – st to close
Other Patterns I Love & You Will too!
Thank you for coming to my blog! By sharing my content and/or making a purchase you are making it possible for me to continue producing and sharing free content for everyone to enjoy. I sincerely appreciate your support!
Until next time… Happy Crocheting!